Monday, October 6, 2008

Tanda

Tanda - Spanish for group, turn, rotation, task, certain number of persons, gang.

This morning one of my workers handed another worker a $100 bill. I asked what that was about and he said they call it a tanda. He had no idea what the English equivalent would be. The above is from a Spanish dictionary. He says that 10-12 guys mostly here at work put $100 of their paycheck into a pot. Each guy gets a number and each paycheck the guys whose number is next gets the total pot of $1000 to $1200 dollors. Kind of a savings account. Only problem is when one of the guys gets the pot and leaves before he puts more back in.

Community. There is that word again. These guys get it. How to survive. (Hopefully they don't spend the pot on some luxury item like a flat screen tv!).

I think I have a name for my next small group.

Tanda.

1 comment:

Amy Medina said...

They do that here too! Except they put in 1000 shillings ($1) every week and get $10 every ten weeks.