Monday, July 30, 2007

Other Stuff

My plan is not to always be about Farm Drive and what we are doing here. Sometimes it will be more about my thoughts and ideas or things I have been reading about. Every day I have about an hour commute so I don't always like to listen to the radio or music on my Ipod. So I listen to podcasts. Lately I have been listening to Rob Bell, Irwin McManus, and Efrem Smith. I guess to say it correctly it would be Mars Hill Church, Mosaic, and Covenant Community podcasts! All 3 have been speaking to me right where I am at right now, so I guess that's why I enjoy hearing what they have to say about different parts of scripture.

Today I was listening to Rob Bell and he is doing a series "God is Green". Today he commented that when people complain that they don't feel very close to God, they are missing a connection. People today go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car in the garage. They open the garage and drive to work and work all day in their air conditioned office building. Then they leave their air conditioned office building and the parking garage and drive home in their air conditioned car to their air conditioned houses. They hardly step outside. How can you connect with God if you don't spend anytime outside enjoying His fresh air, His sunshine, His people? So the challenge is to find ways to decrease the degrees of separation between us and God. This can be our food, the air we breathe, people we come in contact with.

By the way - tonite as Patty, Jessica and I left an air conditioned restaurant and walked outside to our air condtioned car - we met Dave in the parking lot. Dave just moved back in the area and is looking for work. He and his family are living in a motel while they wait for an apartment to rent and for Dave to get a job. Today he didn't make enough at the odd jobs he does to pay for the motel. So we gave him some of God's money to help him out. Pray for Dave. He was very thankful as I told him that this money was a gift from God to help him get back on his feet again. Dave is tired of the trial that God is leading him through. Pray for Dave.

No comments: