Wednesday, October 31, 2007

5.6 Earthquake

We had an earthquake last night in the South Bay. It meausred 5.6 on the Richter Scale and was centered in the Alum Rock area. It was the first earthquake I have felt since the Loma Prieta quake back in 1989. I was in a meeting at church and the first thing you think about after you realize it is an earthquake is how big is it going to be and should I do something. Everybody at the meeting went under the tables except me. I'm really cool so I didn't. (or stupid!). Then you wonder if you are near the epicenter or far away from a really big one.
When I got home I turned on the TV to see how big it was and where it was centered. On the news station people were sending in photos of the damage from their homes to the station and they were showing them on the air. I went to the website and tried to download some of them, but I was not able to. I just remember one picture of home office that had stuff all over the place. I was wondering if that was caused by the quake or the guy is just messy! "My desk is not messy, the quake did this!". So anyway here are the photos I was going to send in to the station:

On the air they said their were no injuries, but we had one. We lost a turtle. It is a really sad day at the Havens household.



This is a picture of Patty's knick knacks that fell of the wall. (yeah, yeah, you can all sing along, "knick knack, Patty whack, give the dog a bone!") These came from Africa.
Oh did I mention that the turtle is ceramic and fell off a pot in the window sill.

2 comments:

Cherlyn said...

I think about this kind of stuff a lot... especially since Japan is right in the ring of fire and all that. We get big ones a lot, although a big one has yet to hit Okinawa since I have been here. I pray that it does not hit any time soon!

Glad you all are ok!

Cherlyn said...

Btw, you favorite photo of a spider of Thailand... we have those here too, and they are the freakiest looking things ever, no? :D