Thursday, October 25, 2007

Random Thoughts

Patty hurt her back the other day and it is taking quite a while to heal. But being the slave driver I am, I made her go to the grocery store with me. (I believe excercise, moving around is better to heal a back rather than sitting and laying around doing nothing). On the way into the store we were stopped by a guy asking for a couple of bucks. I said I'm sorry all I have is a $10 will he take that instead? (I'm such a troublemaker). So I was interested in his story so I asked him. Boy, I couldn't get him to stop after that! His name was Joe and he had got laid off at a local car dealer. He was looking for more work, (using Craig's list!) but most jobs had tons of people applying for work. He said he got around with a monthy bus pass so he was able to do 2-3 job applications a day instead of more if he owned a car. He also uses a church in Los Gatos as his contact place. I found that interesting. He lives underneath hwy 280. I asked him if there was anything I could get him and he gave us a short grocery list. We went inside and purchased his list and ours and came out and gave him his groceries. He was very appreciative and said God bless you and asked if we'd pray for him to get a job. So please pray for Joe.

My thoughts were many after that exchange. As we drove away he hid the groceries under his coat so he could continue asking for money. Is this form of begging more productive than getting a job? Why don't more people stop to help out? If 10% of San Jose attends church on a regular basis that means there is about 95,00o people who could be helping the homeless and poor. Plus people who don't go to church that feel compelled to help those who are in need, are also helping. Shouldn't this problem be eliminated?

I remember years ago that I couldn't wait to move out of San Jose. I wanted to move to an area that was a lot cheaper to live. We always struggled to make ends meet. And it almost happened once about 12 years ago but it fell apart at the last minute. But now I don't want to move. I love the city of San Jose. God has really given me a passion for this place. My eyes are now beginning to see what God sees so why would I leave when there is so much to be done here? I feel compelled now to "invest" my (oops!) God's dollars here with the local economy. I frequent the farmer's market as much as possible. I frequent local retailers instead of the big corporate stores. (This is hard to do and not having much luck!). Patty and I went to a local theatre to see Guy's and Doll's instead of going to San Franscico. We have been looking for local resturants to go out to instead of going to the corporate types. We are here and we need to support and pray for here, the city of San Jose!

No comments: