Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tanzania and E-Waste

I am tired this morning. My body aches, my legs are tired, my back is sore, and I have a headache.

Why?

Last night Patty, 12 kids from the hood (ranging from 1st grade through 7 grade) and myself went and distributed a bunch of flyers for an E-Waste collection this coming Saturday. (more on that later) We walked about 4 different neighborhoods over a 2 hour period all around where we live. Must have distributed about 400 flyers. That was a lot of walking. Most of that time I had at least one kid hanging on me especially at the end as they were tired of walking! But I was real proud of them. I know of a lot of kids that would be excessively whining about the walking and maybe even sit down and give up. Maybe even expect me to carry them. But we all had a blast hanging out and taking Cosmo with us. Hopefully it will pay off with a few more people bringing their electronic waste this Saturday to Hillside Church.

So now to the details.

About 1o of us from the college group at Hillside are going to Tanzania next June to do a week long camp for Junior High and High School age students from Dar es Salaam. This trip will be expensive and we need to raise funds. So this Saturday the 13th of October we will have a bin available for people to bring their electronic junk to get recycled. We get a percentage based on the weight of what is brought in. We are also having a car wash at the same time...hot dogs too.

Patty and I have struggled about going on this trip. That's a lot of money to travel to the other side of the world. This trip will be 3 weeks and we struggle with leaving what we are doing here. But we feel God leading us to do this. We love taking people to other parts of the world to expose them to what else is going on in different cultures. We love to see what God is doing elsewhere and we can share with the kids at Farm Drive what we are doing and why.

No comments: