Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Halloween

I was recently asked my opinion of Halloween and how Christians should handle this day that some refer to as a day that belongs to Satan. Here was my response:

To me Halloween comes down to preference. What and why are you involved in celebrating Halloween? It is harmless in most cases. But appearances are important. If other Christians see you and can't believe you are celebrating it, then you should think twice about being involved. You don't want to start an argument or cause someone to "stumble". Since so many Christians have "problems" with Halloween, we at church or at Farm Drive avoid doing anything except a "harvest party" alternative.

Personally the last couple of years we (Patty and I) have been out in our driveway with a firepit and candy, hot chocolate, hot cider, and we enjoy seeing our neighbors and talking with them. We even ask them to sit and chat awhile, relax on their walks with their kids for a bit. They are usually very happy to see us and think what a great idea! We don't dress up but what a statement that makes versus us sitting inside the house with the door locked and a sign on the door saying sorry no candy!
If I had younguns I would walk the neighborhood but keep away from the creepy outfits. I think we always did. Nightmares aren't worth it. I think Jon still has nightmares. Oh that's right, I was carrying an ax. Jessica doesn't care for clowns. Actually both our kids hate clowns!

2 comments:

Melodee said...

So I guess all those nights you snuck into their rooms in your clown outfit and carrying your axe made an impact, eh?

Pete and Patty said...

I have no idea what you are talking about.Nobody can prove it.